Our Services

I need emergency rent or utility assistance; can you help?

Unfortunately, we do not have any emergency financial assistance. A good place to start is by contacting the Emergency Rental Assistance Program.  This program administers financial assistance through the following list of vendors.

Do you give out SmartTrip cards?

In general, no, unfortunately we are not able to provide transportation assistance. Some exceptions are made for clients enrolled in specific Bread for the City programs (such as our Pre-Employment Program) that require regular attendance for a set period of time.

I need a birth certificate &/or a photo ID. How can I get one?

Bread for the City does not provide photo IDs.  However, we have developed some tools to help you navigate your next steps.

How do I apply for food stamps, TANF, IDA, DCHCA or Medicaid?

The DC Department of Human Services’ Economic Security Administration determines eligibility for these public benefit programs. We can review eligibility criteria, help you complete the application and give you information about which proofs you need to provide. For some programs we can fax the application in for you, and for other programs you will have to go to DHS and apply in person. For more information about these and other public benefit programs please ask to speak to a case manager during our open open hours.

I want to apply for Social Security benefits, am I eligible?

Eligibility for Social Security benefits is determined by the Social Security
Administration. We cannot tell you if you are eligible. However, we can provide you with information and may be able to help you apply.

I’m not eligible for your food program. Where can I get food?

There are many resources for fresh and affordable food in DC.  You may access a list of pantries that do not require referrals below (read our blog about this here).

I need clothing. Where can I go?

Bread for the City’s clothing room is located in our Southeast Center. We also have listings of local clothing rooms.

Do you have furniture?

No, we do not have any furniture. However, one of our case managers would be happy to give you a list or referral to another agency that might be of assistance.  Central Union Mission and A Wider Circle are two examples of local groups that may be able to provide you with furniture.

I need a job. How can you help?

We are not a job training or job placement agency. However, through our case management program we work with individuals to support them as they try to reach their goal. For some, employment is one of these goals.

We offer a job readiness program through our Pre Employment Program out of our SE Center. (Email Stacey Smith to learn more.)

Our case managers can also provide you with a listing of job training and placement agencies in DC.

I need affordable housing. How can you help?

Bread for the City operates the Housing Access Program to help clients navigate DC’s complicated subsidized housing application process. (Email Stacey Johnson to learn more.)

You can also speak to one of our case managers to discuss your situation and what options might be available to you.  If you are in need of a place to stay tonight please call the Shelter Hotline: 1-800-535-7252 or 202-399-7093.

I need a mailing address. Can my mail get sent to Bread for the City?

No, we are not able to serve as a mailing address for the public. However, there are other agencies that offer this service. You may access the list below or come in and speak with a case worker during open hours.

Community Resources & Links


Bread for the City’s list of free and low-cost dental care providers.

FoodDC Food Finder

Capital Area Food Bank
So Others Might Eat (SOME)
Food Research and Action Center (FRAC)
DC Food Finder

Mental health

DBH access helpline: 1 (888) 793-4357


Byte Back
DC Central Kitchen – Culinary Job Training Program
Employment Justice Center
Jubilee Jobs
SOME Center for Employment Training

Medical Care / Insurance

Community of Hope
La Clinic del Pueblo
Mary’s Center
Overdose Prevention
AllTreatment: Drug Rehab Center Directory
D.C. Chartered Health Plan
Unity Health Care
Whitman-Walker Clinic


AARP Legal Counsel for the Elderly
DC Bar
Employment Justice Center
Legal Aid Society of DC
Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless

DC Government

Contact your City Council MemberDC Office of Human Rights

Contact your local government offices

On-line Resource Guides

211 Answers, Please!
Interfaith Conference of Metropolitan Washington – Emergency Directory

DC Metro Area Self Sufficiency Calculator