This holiday season, the annual battle of which type of potato to serve commenced again in my household. My husband is very fond of regular mashed potatoes whereas I’m partial to sweet potatoes with my turkey. After all, I make ordinary mashed potatoes on a weekly basis!
So I got to thinking; how else might I have my beloved sweet potato and my beloved sanity year after year? So I went on the hunt for a new, healthy recipe to incorporate these delectable veggies on my holiday table.
My search brought me to an unusual use that I can’t wait to try. Sweet Potato Biscuits using canned sweet potatoes. The recipe claims to produce flakier, lighter and above all healthier biscuits because it replaces some of the butter normally used with this super healthy root veggie.
I can sweet potato
1 ¼ cups whole-wheat biscuit mix
2 T. chilled unsalted butter, cubed
½ cup lowfat buttermilk
¼ t. ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mash sweet potatoes and set aside.
- Place biscuit mix and butter in a bowl; rub butter into mix with fingertips until large, pea sized crumbs form.
- Add sweet potato, buttermilk and allspice; mix until combined.
- Plop dough in two inch balls onto a greased cookie sheet about two inches apart.
- Bake until biscuits are firm to the touch (8-10 min)
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
This recipe is super simple, and the best thing is that these biscuits are perfect for warming up with the rest of your Holiday leftovers. Just think how yummy they would be dipped into some turkey soup!
Tags: recipe Comments Off on Sweet Potatoes for Sweethearts